Monday, July 31, 2006

Raining Toads and Tarantulas

Finally, it's raining like I thought rainy season should be. I guess you really can't expect much rain at one time when the entire season adds up to only 8". It's the funniest thing to actually see toads hopping across the road here in the desert, but just like New Hampshire, when it rains they come out. The tarantulas often get flooded out of their homes this time of year and can often be seen crawling around your yard, like our pet tarantula we have.

Saturday we had a good day. Finally we buthchered little Walnut. He was stealing all of my milk from his mama. Now she gives me a little bit over half a gallon twice a day. We went over to our friends house, the Stephenson's, and our two amatuer husbands did the buthering. They did an excellent job I might add. Butchering the goat was much easier than I expected (especially since I only supervised), and we plan on butchering our kids each year.

Muffy Stephenson found out the day before my birthday that it was coming up soon and determined to do something about it. She's a very giving and loving person and on Saturday she prepared a yummy mexican meal with green chilies. Then she prepared my favorite dessert, pecan pie, YUM!! On top of that she ordered 6 broilers for us as a birthday present. I couldn't ask for more, she's been a real blessing to me.

Mike took me out Yesterday for a birthday dinner, which is our usual present to one another for birthdays and mother/father's day. We dined at a Chinese restaurant and the food was delicious.

I took pictures of the butchering of the goat as a reference for those who are interested. Some of my friends are squeamish, won't mention a name, but it starts with Ellen. Others are curious creatures like myself and enjoy seeing how these things are done. So if you don't mind looking then please click on this link http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/baabaamilker/my_photos and look for the album titled Butchering Walnut.

Denise

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I *might* take a look, but this isn't the new blog I was hoping for about one of your kids!! I prefer the Perry Brand, thank you. ;)
Ellen

Anonymous said...

One more thing (since I did decide to look at the pictures, but avoided any gross close-ups)- is that Leah sleeping with Becky? She looks different. And they both look so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Butcher the kids!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know who left that third comment, but that's pretty sick.
Ellen

Perry Family said...

Yes that was Leah and Becky sleeping together.

Anonymous said...

Guess I'm just used to seeing her awake and laughing.
Ellen